Friday 14 August 2015

MY HAIR JOURNEY, RELAXED TO NATURAL

I always had my hair relaxed for as long as I can remember. In fact I don't remember myself with coils on my head. My sister always had my hair stretched though my mom  preferred my hair short and less complicated.

I grew up knowing and believing my hair needs to be stretched and so  I "learned" to take care of my relaxed hair. I quoted "learned" because looking back now, I now know I knew nothing about  healthy hair. anyway I continued wearing my hair relaxed until in 2010-11. I went through a rough patch in my life and the stress caused a lot of damage to my hair. my hair just started thinning out and breaking off to the point of no return. I cut my hair very short.


2011 Feb

I took that as a fresh start to grow it back but I didn't relax it right away, I only blew it out there and then. 

2011 around august




 Fast forward to 2013 when my hair started showing signs of weakness again,I started looking for answers. My first search on Google was "why does African hair not grow" I don't remember what I found there but my next question was "how to grow African black hair" and boyyyy did I open cans of lovely worms? blog posts, images and videos POPPED up hunny, a lllot. There I was expecting to see what girls use to relax their hair, who and when do they relax and how often blah blah blah!, but no,  I saw "aliens", girls with long beautiful healthy natural hair and I was like wwwwwhat??????? how on earth?  I was so surprised I couldn't live with myself. From there on, The rest is history, here I am. 

My last chemical session was in September 2014. 28th October 2014 I finally chopped all "chemicalized" hair off.  
The guy who cut and dyed my hair did a crappy job with the dye but I left it, I wasn't going to put any more chemical on my hair. It meant walking around with that weird color on my head and so I did. I couldn't care less, I just couldn't wait to start my virgin hair journey.

I'm approaching my 1 year mark yayyy!!. I am in my basic learning stages and enjoying the journey.
From here on, I will be sharing my journey with you in picture so that you can see how it is going and all that I do and will be doing with my hair. I'll also be sharing all the challenges, accomplishments and lessons about my hair.
March 2015





This is my hair now, dyed black. May 2015
 


 follow me on my Facebook page Naturally Coiled South Africa  and don't forget to subscribe to this blog for more updates. 

You are beautiful, You matter. you are priceless. xoxo!! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment